A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Friday, January 4, 2013

Culinary Master

I must redeem myself from yesterday's picture-less post, and provide you with some gems today.
There are no words
I pledge allegiance, to the flag
On an unrelated note, I've been really distressed this past week, due to Kelly and Michael. I refer to them like they are close friends, because they are. This week they have been doing this annoying thing, where they show "pre-recorded" episodes and/or old episodes that I've already seen. Don't they know that the highlight of my day comes from their hilarious banter, new guests, and the suspense of waiting to be chosen for their trivia game to win a trip to St. Lucia?? They need to get their shit together.

Lately, I've been really motivated to cook. This is huge, because I usually avoid cooking at all costs. I don't really enjoy it, plus I feel like I bomb about 80% of my creations, so that combination just does not mesh well. Last Saturday, it was blizzarding, and something about being snowed in all weekend without any delicious food, really gave me a kick in the ass. So before the snow trapped us, I went on a mission to make jambalaya. Jambalaya has always been one of my favorite foods, partly because we use Emeril's recipe so we get to yell "Bam!" while cooking, and partly because it's just freaking scrumptious. I've never made it before Saturday, so I was a little intimidated by it.
Turns out, it was one of the greatest successes of my life. I made such a great batch, that my Dad, the jambalaya originator, challenged me to a Jambalaya Throwdown. We are currently interviewing for judges.

Since I felt like such an accomplished chef, I went on to plan recipes for the rest of the week. New Years Eve I made buffalo chicken dip, which I then turned the leftovers into a Buffalo Chicken Pizza. Dave said it was the second best buffalo chicken pizza he's ever had, and he's pretty much the pickiest eater known to man, so I'll call that one a success.

There's good news and bad news from last night's dinner. The good news is that I made the stuffed avocados that I am OBSESSED with from Salena's, and they were damn good. The bad news is that I totally meant to take a picture, but was so excited when it came out of the oven, that it was fork to the mouth before I could procure a picture.

I'm still a pretty shoddy chef, but when I can manage 3 above average meals in one week, I feel accomplished enough that I'll probably retire from cooking for the next 3 months.

Today, there are two anniversaries to celebrate. First, it my Gram's birthday!
She's so cute. Almost as cute as Harrison.
Second, it's the one year anniversary of finding out I was pregnant! What a day that was.
If I go to Geneseo, will that make you love me? 



4 comments:

  1. OMG it was a whole year ago? Crazy! I volunteer as judge! When is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm a pretty shoddy cook, too, but I disguise it by the fact that I have 5 or six meals in my arsenal that are delicious, so no one is the wiser...except Mike who always has to eat the same five or six meals every week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if my jambalaya tastes as good as yours, but mine is more photogenic

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get enough of that first picture of Harrison!!! Well really all pictures of Harrison. And Gram is so adorable in that picture!

    ReplyDelete