A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tooth Extraction is Scary

I went to the dentist the other day, and learned that I have to get my wisdom teeth out. They told me that it is preferred for this procedure to take place when you are in college, so you are still on your parent's insurance. Luckily, I am. What they didn't realize about my situation is that it still would have been much preferred to get this procedure done in college, so that I wouldn't have a child to make arrangements for. So other than the inconvenience of having to make sure that I have help watching Harrison for a couple of days, there is the inconvenience of my fear of being put under.

Prior to the arrival of Harrison into the world, I had never had any sort of surgery, let alone being put under anesthesia  I was and am terrified of the stuff. You always hear all those horror stories of patients getting anesthesia and never waking up. I thought it was scary enough being rushed into an operating room alone, without Dave, and laying on the operating table not knowing what the F was going on other than that the baby's heart rate was dropping at a compromising rate. Then, they told me I would have to be put under. Crippling fear right there. Since both Harrison and I are alive to this day, I'm guessing things went accordingly.

I'm not ticklish, just happy to be alive
Even though my surgery went well, and I woke up from the unconscious state I was in, I am still scared of surgeries that require anesthesia. Especially now that I have Harrison and it's like, all these horrible scenarios will pop into my head that I never wake up, and leave him deserted and motherless forever. Then, I tell myself that its just my wisdom teeth... which doesn't really help.

The only positive part of this situation is the whole childcare assistance portion. I love holding Harrison,  for about 5 minutes until he gets really heavy and my arms are tired. So, I will be glad to get a break from this for the most part of 48 hours. Times when I can look at him, and not have to hold him for extended periods, are the best times. I feel like I'm making myself sound like a horrible mother, but all I'm saying is that it will be nice to get a break. And watch, the second I feel better, I'm going to snatch him out of the hands of whoever has him and nuzzle my face into his little neck as if I'd been apart from him for months. Its not my fault his skin is so soft and fun to nuzzle (especially his bum).


If you think I'll readily expose myself, you are wrong.
Which reminds me, now that baby got back, I need to take of picture of it in all it's cellulite glory.

10 comments:

  1. I'm nasty when I get put under (apparently this can be a side effect). When I was put under to get my wisdom teeth out, when I woke up I yelled at my mom and the nurse and was surly until it completely wore off. I have issues.

    Good luck getting your teeth out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had laughing gas for my wisdom teeth and it was fantastic stuff. I wasn't out, but I didn't really care what was going on. Also, please do not forget about the mandatory milkshakes that you will need to devour as another upside to this procedure. And we have the same Winnie the Pooh towel! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Katylin pretty much covered everything I wanted to say, I also had laughing gas and was never put under and we all know there is no bigger wimp out there than me. It's also cheaper not to get anesthesia! My friend at work is having hers out next week and also flipping out but I was fine and able to go watch you cheer leading the next day and then also drive to Syracuse to find out Jim was cheating on me and threw a major bitch fit with no pain in my mouth. I didn't even swell so my point is, definitely line up help with Harrison, but we have the same genes so it will not even be a big deal. I think I was in worse shape last night than after my wisdom tooth "surgery". I love the picture of him in the towel. I need to come over for bathtime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you get put under for a C-Section? I thought you could be awake for that?! Sorry, I'm confused hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg I have to get my wisdom teeth out too!! We should do it the same weekend so we can cry in misery together and eat cold yummy things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a matter of fact, you can ask your dentist to have laughing gas rather than the normal anesthesia. You won't fall asleep but it works the same as a normal anesthetic. The next time you're going to have your teeth extracted, always ask for the laughing gas so you won't have to be scared of not waking up anymore, alright?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing to be scared about tooth extraction, but it’s a normal thing, particularly if you've never gone through this kind of surgery. It is not actually painful; you’ll only feel pain after the surgery when the anesthesia has subsided. However, the pain is just minimal and it can be prevented by taking painkillers. #Heike Forrester

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's normal to feel that fear of losing the battle without a fight. A lot of things can go wrong even in minor surgeries, and the only thing we can do to at least alleviate the anxiety of not waking up from the 'artificial sleep' is to do the procedure with a reliable doctor. I'm glad that you're okay all the same! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tooth extraction is the removal of a tooth from its socket in the bone. If a tooth has been broken or damaged by decay, your dentist will try to fix it with a filling, crown or other treatment. Sometimes, though, there's too much damage for the tooth to be repaired. In this case, the tooth needs to be extracted.

    ReplyDelete