A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stop, Drop, and Roll

In an effort to avoid folding three loads of laundry, I will tell you all about how I almost just burnt the apartment down.

Dave's family came to stay this past weekend, to act as our babysitters. Yes, they drove 3 hours each way to babysit. The power of grandchildren. Dave's mom brought us some steaks in marinade, ready to be grilled and eaten. So easy, right?

She mentioned that we could broil them, so since I am grill-impaired and come on, isn't that the man's job anyway, I thought that going with the broil option would be a much safer choice.

Your cooking is NEVER safe
So I put the steaks under the broiler, walk away for TWO minutes, and come back to a kitchen FILLED with smoke and flames raging inside of the oven. Let's just say if Harrison had been awake, I would have grabbed him, ran screaming from the apartment, and dialed 9-1-1, but if I have a fear greater than a house fire, it is waking Harrison, so I was forced to deal with the oven fire in a calm, cool, and collected (ish) manner.

One hour later, I am still sitting in a freezing cold apartment, because all the windows are open to air out the smoke. Mind you it's 30 degrees out. I AM SUCH A TALENTED COOK.

I ate chips for dinner. Harrison- you're welcome for me eating so nutritiously while nursing you. You're welcome.

Speaking of fears, waking Harrison up is definitely number one, but the new number two, is him smashing his head open. His new favorite skill to practice is pulling up.
I need this ducky more than I don't need stitches in my head

Earlier, I looked away for one second, and found him trying to pull up on his toy basketball hoop, that weighs about 3 pounds and is in no way secure to the ground. I saw the slow motion of the thing coming crashing down on him, and Spidey-ed myself over to rescue him from the treachery. Spidermommy, Spidermommy, does whatever a Spidermommy does. ..Simpsons anyone??

Chips for dinner- Have you done it or am I alone on this one?

6 comments:

  1. You're going to need some furniture anchors for your book shelves and stuff. The fun has just began. Mwahahahaha

    This is only funny to me because I've been there already. I also had an oven fire the last time I used the broiler, so there is that too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more of a cereal for dinner person, but I feel you. I ate cheese for dinner on my pre whole30 bender. Don't worry, this month I set the teakettle on fire, and Eric started a fire in the oven on Sunday. Like both were legit fires. Harrison in the bathtub....I DIE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's time to yell at your landlord about your oven. At least you didn't do like my SIL did once and throw flour on the fire...because she thought it would work the same as baking soda. Just an FYI: Flour is insanely flammable.

    I'm with Alyssa, I usually have cereal for dinner if all else fails.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had 2 donuts for lunch.....it's that kind of day at work...

    And Justin does "spider dog" with Gemma all of the time haha it's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feed my kids chips all damn day because that's all they are eating right now. Chips and bananas. Oh, and Ryan will occasionally steal the dog's food. FML. Anyway, they seem to be surviving.

    And Spiderpig is one of our favorite songs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat chips for every meal if I wouldnt be 300lbs. Give me some potato chips and french onion dip on a bad day and thats allllll i need for dinner. You're not alone girl.

    ReplyDelete