A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Realizations

First I have to point out the obvious- that I changed the design of the blog! I like it better, except that I can't figure out how to get the image at the top of the page centered. Does anyone have any suggestions  or know how to do that??

Onto my realizations. Most, if not all, of them are about motherhood. Go figure.

1. Motherhood has made me more in tune with my inner ape.

No, seriously. For one, I almost always have a little ape attached to some part of my body. Secondly, I have become very efficient at picking things up with my feet. Burp cloths, bibs, my phone. You really fine tune these skills with you are constantly left with only one open arm. Makes me appreciate the evolution theory.
Essentially Harrison and I
2. Having a baby makes you extremely popular. 

I got a taste of this in the final days of my pregnancy when my phone was blowing up like no other with people asking me if the baby had come yet. Now that he has come, my popularity has reached a new level. I have at least one, if not multiple, visitors a day. They come bearing gifts, flowers, food, etc. My Facebook posts now get, on average, 45 likes. For now, while the little man has no idea what's going on, I'll pretend that all of this attention is still just for me (because it's not like he can appreciate it).

3. Breastfeeding has pros and cons. 
Pros: 
  • best diet plan ever and burns something like 500 calories a day. I am constantly hungry, but losing weight at the same time!
  • extremely beneficial for the baby
Cons:
  • middle of the night feedings. Dave gets to sleep, while I am up for about an hour every two-three hours. you do the math. (I can tell you what that equals: no sleep)
  • being Harrison's food slave
4. I function a lot better than I thought I would on minimal sleep.

Once I get my coffee, that is. Part two of this realization is that I knew I loved coffee before, but I can't even tell you how necessary it is to my functionality as a human being. That being said, I am one serious zombie prior to my caffeine fix. But afterwards, I almost feel normal. I've finally arrived at the point where I have just adjusted to the lack of sleep. Instead of being groggy and sleepy all day, I have been productive when Harrison naps (something I thought would NEVER happen!). I clean the apartment, blog, run errands, cook dinner... basically you can just call me the world's best housewife girlfriend. For the record though- I miss sleep more than I can even express.

5. Smiles are GREAT.

Harrison has been smiling for real lately! He must have read that blog post. He had me like keeled over laughing this morning with his little, random, contagious smiles. Not to mention that this was my pre-coffee zombie stage when I want to kill everything that is in my path, so the fact that he had me not only smiling, but laughing, is amazing. I guess that's the voodoo magic that babies have. 
I'm going to be a ladies man and you can't stop me

already practicing the prime of his asian. So proud. 


3 comments:

  1. Good lord Harrison is cute! I get to meet him right??

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG love the smiles so much! Can't wait to see them in person. We will work extensively on his prime of my Asian. I really wish I'd brought him to SF so he could get some authentic practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harrison is seriously cute. Once you get to the 6 month mark, you'll realize you barely remember these days because not sleeping makes them such a blur. That first time you get 6 hours of sleep in a row will make you feel like a SUPERHERO ;)

    ReplyDelete