A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

ER

As you know, planning a wedding is extremely stressful and time consuming. So for anyone that has been guilting me for not blogging enough, know that my wedding is far more important than a blog post and that right there is all I have to tell you.

Jokes aside, there had been a more serious reason for my blog absence this past week.

As a baby, apparently I was pretty healthy. When you factor in that I had two older siblings running around infecting me with their germs, I squeezed by without many major illnesses. I had a horrible proneness to UTIs as a child, so I was always at the doctor for those, but that's because I literally cannot feel my bladder. I don't exaggerate. My sister knows, I only can feel it when it's about to come shooting out of me. Or when a 5 pound mass is sitting right on top of it, but I won't mention any names... Harrison. I also once drank a bottle of liquid cold medicine and my mom had to rush me to the ER only to bribe me with a doll I wanted so that I would take the activated charcoal and vom it up.

As I tend to do, I jinxed myself about two weeks ago when I thought to myself, "Wow, Harrison is an extremely healthy baby! He's only had two tiny little colds and no ear infections!!" Like an idiot.

It started off as a cough on Wednesday. Not even a bad cough. I didn't see any other symptoms popping up so we ventured off to Watertown to go look at wedding venues. Here's a spoiler of that trip: got nothing.

Harrison started getting worse on Thursday but it still wasn't anything I was really worried about- just a runny nose. The runny nose worsened Friday and by then the cough was pretty bad too. I was planning on heading back home Friday anyway, so that Harrison could sleep in his own crib.. because sleeping in your own bed is always a cure.

Saturday morning he woke up and could not breathe. It was hard to watch. Besides the breathing, reasons I knew he was sick:

  • He was super cuddly. The kid never cuddles.
I can't figure out how to un-distort this BUT evidence of the cuddling. And the pale-faced baby.
  • He would not eat. The kid LOVES to eat.
  • He fell asleep on my lap, in my bed with me, and took three naps in his crib before noon. As you all well know, sleeping is his least favorite activity, so the fact that he was asleep for 5 out of the 6 hours that he was awake by the time I called the doctor was pretty indicative. 

Passed out in the middle of the floor

I took him outside a couple times thinking the fresh air would help, and ran the shower super hot so that we could sit in a steamy room, but neither of my little mommy voodoo tricks worked. I finally called the emergency line for my pediatrician's office, and spoke with a doctor who basically was like, yeah this could be treated at the office but its the Saturday of Memorial Weekend so lucky you, you get to go to the ER.

I'd never been to the ER before, like ever, so this had me a little rattled. THANK GOD my mom was off work so she met me and we went together. I also must note that I took the time to document the hospital stay, because I'm such a devoted blogger.
After many drugs, feeling good.

I feel like it's definitely one of those things where the parent needs the child more than the child needs the parent. Or like, even though Harrison was the sick one, I was just as, if not more upset. What I'm trying to say is that it was tough for me to watch him get really sick for the first time, and I'm sure it never gets easier. I mean... the cuddling was nice, SO nice, but obviously I'd take a healthy child that refuses to get anywhere near me, than a sick child who wants to cuddle.

The final diagnosis was an upper respiratory infection + ear infection. Both treatable at the pediatrician's office, normally. Leave it to Harrison to get sick on a Saturday and force us into the hospital. And see, he was fine:
GIVE ME THAT BEAR
This was him today, so you can see that he's fully recovered:
(not so) Fat and Happy

Have you ever been to the ER and if so, for what??


6 comments:

  1. Poor Harrison!!! I'm glad he's ok. That would have been so scary. Heck, I freak out when Bungee is sick.

    I've actually been to the ER a few times. When I was 3, I broke my jaw. In college, I had serious vertigo problems that weren't properly diagnosed until after graduation. And my senior year, I had a kidney infection. I'm so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this line: but obviously I'd take a healthy child that refuses to get anywhere near me, than a sick child who wants to cuddle.

    Glad Big H is okay now. I do have an ER story but don't dare put it anywhere on the internet. Ask me the next time you see me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah! I hope he feels better soon!

    Also, I've been so disconnected from blogging lately so I didn't know about the wedding...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm can we talk about that time you drank a bottle of cold medicine because I don't remember that?

    I had to go to the ER for the same reason as Harrison - asthma/breathing problems at 4:30pm on a Friday and they were like "yeah it's about to be the weekend so go to the ER thanks" and then when I got there they were like "first things first ..... PREGNANCY TEST" and I was like ummmm no can you just help me breathe thanks.

    Harrison's face in the cuddling picture is too sad. Yet still cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor H! Glad he's ok! Thoroughly enjoyed this post though haha

    ReplyDelete