A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Please Save Me

Yesterday was one of those days. One of those days where I was at my whit's end, and really wishing that my job as a mom was not my job anymore.

Harrison has gotten a lot better in terms of his mood, and he really only fusses for a couple hours before his bedtime. I can handle that, since it's the same every single day, I know it's coming, and the rest of the day he is good, so I haven't lost my shit yet. Yesterday, however, he was testing me. His nighttime sleep has reverted back to waking 3-4 times a night, and also to waking up for the day before 6am. For a child that really needs a solid 12 hours, this is no good. It is the worst cycle in the world- a bad night's sleep leads to waking up too early, which leads to an overtired baby, and an overtired baby has even more of a hard time napping, so he's overtired going to sleep at night, and thus, has another rough night of sleep. I can't deal.

I think I yelled at him five times yesterday, which is five times more than I usually yell at him. I'm already at one this morning, so I think it's safe to say that I am losing my cool.

All of Harrison's moodiness is now coupled with my post-Alumni Weekend depression. I think because I was looking forward to that for so long, and it gave my boring life a glimmer of excitement, I just feel empty now that I don't have anything to look forward to in it's place. I mean, of course there's summer festivals, and long holiday weekends like Memorial Day and the 4th of July, but nothing that gives me a break from the insanity of motherhood.
Am I really that bad?

That probably sounds horrible, that I need a getaway from my child, but with days like yesterday, and probably today, it helps to think that all of my hard work and losing my mind will be rewarded with a break, eventually. Even if it's not for months...

For someone who still doesn't ovulate, I seem to have a lot of symptoms of those that do- aka PMS. Forgive my whininess. I guess that is the one bad part of not getting a period, that I can't blame all of my mood swings and crying on the PMS. In my defense, I probably still have hormone overload and that is something I will blame my craziness on.

On the bright side, I got to go shopping for a baby shower yesterday, and also for my own child. I used to think nothing could be more fun than shopping for myself, but now I realize that truly, nothing is more fun than shopping for babies. I got Harrison this awesome number:

I look like a clown
Also, one of my most favorite moments of Harrison's life happened yesterday. As a little back story- what I'm about to show you is something that I thought my child would NEVER do. I always envisioned it to be something that other babies would do because it is ridiculously cute, but Harrison, who is such a horrible sleeper, would never accomplish, leaving me sad and jealous of other moms. IT HAPPENED:
Bum in the air <3
Tell me that sleeping position is not the cutest.


6 comments:

  1. I want to come and babysit for you for the day! You need a break. Come visit CT. You can go lay at the beach and I'll watch Harrison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the cutest! When they mash their face into something and make it look comfortable, I also love it. After I assure myself that she is still breathing. Bonus points for Harrison : )

    Fingers crossed Harrison takes a good, long, bum-in-the-air nap today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great mom. I've seen it in action, so I know. He'll outgrow it all, but in the meantime, why don't you start thinking about stuff you might want to learn, try, do, get involved with once he's a bit older and you can have more of your own life!New hobby? New career? New anything... anticipation is fun. (Like the alumni weekend, but if you are anticipating something ongoing it will be even better!) I'm interested to hear what you will come up with. You had the baby really young, so I suspect there are many new interests in life that you'll find that you don't know about yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( When I'm having days like that it always helps me to just get out of the house. Any friends you can call up and take Harrison for a walk? Adult interaction is wonderful... I get it about once a week and it makes me feel like a whole new person!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww hang in there momma! I totally get the feeling of vacation let down...I was just thinking today how I don't really have anything exciting planned for my last few months pre-child. And then I started thinking about how children are full time and I can't even go to a yoga class anymore without figuring out what to do with my little girl. Which makes me kinda sad. But, I remember that being a mom is probably the greatest job in the world (cheese-ball I know) and I think of all the exciting NEW things I'll get to experience as a mother.

    Anyways, you are awesome and I wish we lived closer so you could come over and we could poke little Harrisons bum and talk mommy more haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. remember you have my birthday to look forward to on friday! Yay for Something Else! I know I can't wait. :D

    ReplyDelete