A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Wizard and I

I have a lot of obsessions in my life, like the videos for ExpoTV I had previously mentioned, the time 4 of my years were 100% devoted to Clay Aiken, and coffee. My latest obsession I blame my mom for: Wicked.

Ok, let me clarify. If you have ever seen Wicked, you will agree with me on the obsession, and if you haven't and you are judging me for liking musicals, then I just feel bad for you because you've never seen it. Life changing. I first saw Wicked when I was a freshman at Fordham- my mom got me a gift certificate to use for any Broadway show, and since Wicked tickets cost a small fortune, I went for it. I went by myself because I am that cool. So, in a roundabout way, my love for Wicked is my mom's doing.

Wicked has come to Rochester for 3 weeks, and it basically became my life goal to go. However, once I found out that like the worst seats in the house were $100, I became thoroughly depressed. My mom came through once again. She figured out that every performance offered a lottery to win discounted tickets.

My mom and stepdad devotedly went to try to win the lottery tickets for every performance. I didn't feel good about our chances. For one, I never win things like this. I have the worst luck. Two, I wanted the tickets SO BAD that I felt I was jinxing my chances. It's always the people that don't really want to win that get chosen, those assholes. Three, the first night of the lottery, the same family got picked 5 times. Out of ten. At that point I knew it was rigged and the only names that get selected were somehow connected to cast/crew members. I love to think up conspiracy theories in my head to make myself feel better.

Friday night rolled around, and for whatever reason, I felt good about our chances. It was the third night my parents were trying to win, so I immediately started channeling the phrase, "Third time is the charm". My mom also saw this:

This, I knew, was my Gram sending us her positive spirit to help us win! Plus, Dave had come down with  Tax-Season-itis and I really did not want to spend Friday night sitting around trying to quarantine myself from the germs.

As you can clearly tell where this is going, my parents won the lottery tickets! I knew my positive energy would do the trick.
That's right, bitches.

Once my mom and I got to the theater, I thought nothing could get any better. I was wrong. There was a bar, that allowed you to take the drinks to your seat with you. WHAT? I have never encountered anything like this before. Obviously, I got myself a glass of wine, and let me tell you, Wicked and wine is one hell of a combination.
I apologize if the ghost pictured above just blinded you

The show was amazing. Better than Broadway.

We even met the lead male actor after the show because my mom and I agreed that he looked like a family member, and she insisted we stalk him to get a picture. #winning.

The rest of the weekend paled in comparison. I went to the Rochester Public Market with my friend Anna on Saturday afternoon, did much of nothing else the rest of Saturday, and took Harrison to the park on Sunday.
I AM NOT HAVING FUN

Have you ever seen Wicked? Are you obsessed with it like I am?






7 comments:

  1. I really want to see Wicked, based on what everyone says about it and my love of musicals. However, I am very lazy and probably will never see it unless someone else makes the plans for me.

    That's awesome that your parents got tickets!! Didn't they win tickets to another show not too long ago? I remember them texting Alyssa about it when we were in MD for the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to admit this, but I saw Wicked last year with a friend... I really owed her one, so I coughed up for both of us to see the show. (We really wanted to see Book of Mormon but it was sold out) We both hated it... didn't like a single song, although I thought the script was pretty fun and the performers were doing a great job. Big disappointment, because a musical really is all about the music, isn't it?

    Can I still be in the family?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Aunt Leslie I cannot even believe what I am reading. I am devastated.

    Wicked is amazing. I too feel bad for people who don't like musicals. Luckily, Eric has left that camp and will never return.

    Harrison on the swing.....priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah Wicked has ALWAYS been on my list to go see! maybe I should make it happen soon.

    And dont worry, i go to movies and musicals alone all the time down here lol. I pretend im a student and get student rush tickets. I love musicals too much to have to wait for someone to go with me! alright, I've officially put Wicked at the top of my list now :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, I want to see Wicked so badly! Congratulations on the WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha so glad you won!!! sounds amazing. I saw it for the first time in December and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This training is essential to learnthe latest techniques and materials, and Emergency Dentist
    Plano Txs are all about a wonderful smile from us, because the photos are from patients we have
    had. Since your mouth can affect your overall physical health so take care not to neglect your
    oral health. A trained emergency dentist plano tx,
    using invisible braces on just those teeth that show when you smile, your jawbone and facial slack
    caused by dental problems.

    Also visit my homepage ... dentists plano texas

    ReplyDelete