A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Here goes nothing

A little story about the title of my blog...


It all started last November. Recently-graduated college party girl turned young professional that I was, my week nights no longer consisted of shots and bar hopping, but barely being able to keep my eyes open past 9:30pm. So after obeying this pathetically early bedtime, I wake up one Thursday night around midnight, with the worst spins, and no- it wasn't from drinking. I had vertigo. But little did I know, my world being spun upside down was about to take on a very literal meaning. After a few weeks of extreme dizziness and nausea (sounds fun, right?), and no diagnosis about what was causing it... I'm sure you all know where this is headed... it was time to take a pregnancy test. And so the story begins.

My boyfriend and I found out we were pregnant around the 12 week mark, when all of the cute little baby websites and phone apps tell you that the baby is the size of a lemon. And since a 12 week old fetus is still too small to determine the sex, we naturally just started referring to him or her as "Lemon"- a slightly more endearing term than "it". Since then, the phrase, "When life gives you lemon" has basically become like the theme song of our lives.

Now that you all know the story behind the title of the blog, I can tell you a little bit about my life. I love lists, so here goes...

1. My sister is basically famous in the blogging world. Her blog, Chocolate is my Life, is world-renowned and you should read it. It also gave me the idea to start my own! I aspire to one day have as many readers as she does.

2. A lot of people complain about "mommy blogs" so I pledge that this blog will NOT become one of those. A lot of people also say that this kid is going to turn me into a sap, but we'll see about that. Not that he won't be adorable, but for someone who swore she would not have kids before the age of 28 (and is currently 22), I just don't see it. So in the interest of readership, I'll do my best to discuss other topics than simply how awesome my kid is.

3. My boyfriend, Dave, and I met in Geneseo, where we both went for undergrad. Geneseo is absolutely the most magical place on earth... just ask anyone who went there. I'll probably brag more about my alma-matter in this blog than my child (haha just kidding). But seriously, if I only have one gauge of my success as a mother, it will be if my son goes to Geneseo.

4. I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. Besides the whole vertigo debacle, my pregnancy has been pretty great- can't complain about eating all day every day, endless compliments about how I'm glowing, drinking whole milk instead of 1%, and never being denied a back massage. Up until about 5 days ago, when my little boy decided he wanted to wedge his head right on my sciatic nerve and cause me an extraordinary amount of back pain. Like.. hurts to walk a few steps, god forbid I have to climb up stairs. So that's fun. Luckily, I  only have 4 weeks left, give or take a few days, because I've definitely hit that extremely-uncomfortable-portion-of-the-third-trimester-so-please-just-get-this-baby-out-of-me wall.

5. I might have to adapt a rule of one allowance of something mushy-gushy per blog post, because I just have to make it known how amazing my family and friends have been through this turbulent time. I could never have imagined being 22 years old and pregnant, but now that I am, I realize it's not so bad. Sure, Dave and I were thrown into this and would have preferred to go the traditional route of first getting married, but the endless support we have been getting from both of our families and friends is amazing, and I definitely know that this baby will be so loved. Honestly, for a second I thought this was still colonial America and I was about to become the embodiment of Hester Prynne. Thank god this is the 21st century, and the majority of people are cool about it, with the exception of your old high school friend's Christian parents who run into you and immediately put their heads down and walk in the other direction as if you had rabies.

6. On top of my nerves about labor and raising a child, I am extremely nervous about the upcoming NFL season. As an avid Colts fan, I am torn and saddened to have to watch Peyton Manning do work in a Bronco's uniform- and yet, I can't help but root for him. Colts fans out there- please tell me I am not the only one facing this inner dilemma.



10 comments:

  1. Great first post! I can't wait to keep reading. I'll link to it on my "world famous blog" lol. But seriously, moving in with a dairy farmer, you would have switched to whole milk, baby or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have high expectations for this blog based on Alyssa's awesomeness. I think you can meet those requirements with lots of cute baby pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just remembered Alyssa texting me to ask about my vertigo because you were having it too. Definitely two different endings to our similar symptoms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I remember driving with Alyssa to Kara's house for the terrible Hot Chocolate 15k and Alyssa mentioning your vertigo...

      Delete
  4. Your last point made me remember that I went to grad school with a girl who named her daughter Payton, which we all assumed was because she is a huge Colts fan. She might be regretting her choice now. Could be worse, at least she didn't name her kid Tebow. And I agree with Kara on the baby pictures.`

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely like "Lemon" way better than calling a fetus "Peanut". Your sister could explain to you my hatred of referring to things as "peanut" (unless, of course that's the thing's name, like Kara's awesome dog, who I may steal someday).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to read all of your blog posts! Do you think you wil ever be able to go back to 1% milk after getting used to whole milk?! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darcy! I love your blog and hearing all of your updates. You are so positive and Im sure you will be a wonderful mom once your little lemon is here!! :) way to turn an unexpected surprise into something so great! :) so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darcy! I love your blog and hearing all of your updates. You are so positive and Im sure you will be a wonderful mom once your little lemon is here!! :) way to turn an unexpected surprise into something so great! :) so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete