A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Baby Showers and National Holidays

I don't know that I've ever appreciated national holidays more than I do now as a member of the full-time employment club. Not only do I get a day off in the middle of the week AND get paid for it, we also got a half-day on the 3rd. Life is good. To give you an idea of what I did on the 4th, it consisted of this.. and only this...
Thank god for Instagram filters to make Lake Ontario look a lot cleaner than it is



So in other news, my baby shower was this past weekend! Thanks to the collaborative effort of my best friend, Melissa, my sister (who I'm sure you all know now since you read her blog), and my mom for throwing it! Since I clearly use this blog as a plug for my sister's blog, here's another one for Melissa's Graphic Design and Digital Illustration. She did an amazing job on the shower invites:


Special mentions to Melissa's mom for letting us use her beautiful home, and Melissa's sister, Kat, for her party decor expertise (aka flower arrangements and cupcakes, both of which are pictured below).

The feast
As if it isn't already obvious, the shower was lemon-themed. My sister flew in from Baltimore on Friday morning to help with preparations, including about 4902349 trips to Wegmans (which is basically the standard for our family anyway). Saturday was spent assembling the favors- Lemon Grapefruit Sugar Hand Scrubs. Super easy to make and feels amazing on your hands and feet. Thank you Pinterest for the recipe.

 Apparently, my sister and step-dad had to juice 16 pounds of lemons to make these:

Lemonades Three Ways: Spiked Watermelon, Original, and Strawberry.   



I just played the I'm-pregnant-and-tired card and got out of it. So thank you Alyssa, Joy, and Vince for your grueling lemonade-squeezing efforts.

Let's just say if you ever wanted to celebrate your birthday and Christmas in the same day, having a shower is the way to go. Eating, drinking, opening gifts, all while being complimented and pampered, like really- where can you go wrong?

Gifts galore! Birthdays are so fun


Paperbag Scrapbook made for me by Aunt Karen. Sounds way less cool than it is!

Baby Geneseo tee! Told ya I'd brag more on here about my alma-matter. Thank you Geneseo for being Geneseo, and also to introducing me to my lovely little, Kelly, who knows that the way to my heart is to outfit my unborn child in Geneseo apparel.


Geneseo ladies! Again, without Geneseo I'd be lost and have no friends.

The shower-thrower extraordinaire, part one.

with my best friend/shower thrower extraordinaire part two, Melissa.




Now that the shower is over, its a race against the clock to get everything assembled, taken out of boxes, and put away in the baby's nursery. With approximately 25 days until this baby is born, 90 degree unrelenting heat without air-conditioning, AND little to no mobility due to the sciatica, that is not an easy task. Luckily, I have the world's-best baby daddy/housewife who has been doing it all for me (without me even having to ask!) He put this together simply so I could make him pose with me with it.
Baby Daddy and I with our travel system stroller, courtesy of Aunt Alyssa, and Great Aunts Leslie and Jodie. 












































































































        


















For anyone who is wondering if we will be ready in time for the baby, the answer is no. Just no.

17 comments:

  1. You are possibly the cutest pregnant woman ever (please don't take that in a creepy way)! Thank you for your note you sent with Alyssa's cookie bars. Your family is fantastic.

    Good luck getting everything ready for the baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take offense to that. Are you suggesting I'm not the cutest???

      Delete
    2. Kara, you might get to be the fattest? Darcy, you are a really adorable pregnant lady. And don't feel bad if you don't have everything ready! We hadn't even bought our crib when my daughter decided to show up. I still don't have everything ready. We're dealing with it as we get there.

      Delete
    3. I think we all know who the fattest pregnant woman is...

      and if you have to ask, it's probably you.

      Delete
  2. Great picture documenting! :) and thanks for the graphic designer plug you made for me :) you so great. Glad you loved the shower, I wanted it to be extra special for you. Keep the posts coming, loving this blog miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now all we need is for Melissa to start a blog!

      Delete
    2. sweet. I need more stuff to troll.

      Delete
  3. The first time you posted an Instagram pic of Lake Ontario I was like "did I forget she was going on vacation?".

    If you ever want to get an arm workout in without going to the gym, throw a baby shower for your sister. Squeezing lemons/lifting heavy gifts will get you bikini ready in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Greetings! Very helpful advice within this post! It's the little changes that produce the most significant changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

    my website; irish soda bread

    ReplyDelete