A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Paranoia and Unemployment

Harrison's 7 month birthday is nearing rapidly, and I find myself thinking, I can't believe he is already 7 months old.
This is NOT a boobie. YOU CAN'T FOOL ME. 

This happens every time he gains a month of age. I can't decide if my time with him has flown by and 7 months seems like an outrageous amount of time to have passed, or if he is so demanding and my days are so long that it feels more like 14 months. I think the former. When I factor in that some 7 month old babies are crawling, it seems crazy to me that he could crawl any day now, yet it feels like just yesterday that he was 5lbs, sleeping on our chests, and vomiting every 3 minutes. Oh, how I miss those days... yes, even the puke.
My little nug

Please cuddle with me again, Harrison. Please. 

Speaking of motherhood, lately I've been a little paranoid. Wait, no, I'm always paranoid, but lately just more than usual. My paranoia comes from the conclusion that I think I talk way too much about the babe. I probably say "Harrison" 48329048 times a day, to multiple people. When Dave gets home from work, I'm instantly bombarding him with stories and concerns about how Harrison's day went. I ask my mom at least one parenting question a day. Even when I visited Geneseo a few weekends ago, I was showing ANYONE that mentioned the baby like minimum 10 pictures of him and agreeing when they said how cute he is.
Yes, cute is the right word.
The reason this concerns me, is that pre-baby, I always swore that I would not become one of those kid-obsessed mothers. Like those annoying women that bring their baby into every conversation, when exactly no one cares. There's nothing wrong with being obsessed with your own children, only as long as you know that other people are not. So, in realizing that I am being a complete hypocrite, as I have an entire blog devoted to talking about my child, I will make a more conscious effort to discuss other topics.

A few things I have noticed about unemployment:

It becomes harder and harder to motivate yourself to do anything other than sit on your ass.

There are days when I know I need to clean multiple rooms, the mess is driving me crazy, I really should go grocery shopping, if it's nice out I should go for a walk, etc etc... but rarely these things ever happen. In my defense, the down time that I do have to accomplish these things is limited, and I need to use it to blog, but making excuses is what got me into this funk in the first place.

I should be more conservative with my money, but I'm not.

Actually, that is kind of false. I need to alter it to: I should be more conservative at Wegmans. I'm actually a lot better about my spending in every other outlet than the Grocery Store of the Gods. Anyone who shops at Wegmans, knows that their food items are addicting, and nearly impossible to resist. What doesn't help my pocketbook is the fact that I am ravenous due to the breastfeeding, so I consume all of the groceries I buy within 2 days. The blame here is on Harrison, not me. But either way, our spending at Wegmans specifically is a little outrageous and I need to go to rehab to curb this.

My life revolves around my shows.

I start the day with the Today show, followed by Kelly and Michael, and then back to the Today show. In the afternoons, I usually switch between whatever reruns of Housewives that Bravo is showing, and Sex in the City. My primetime shows are getting a little out of hand, but include: Biggest Loser, The Walking Dead, Smash, Housewives, and Glee.
My life

I need a new hobby, obviously. And if that didn't just make me sound pathetic, I don't know what would.

What I've gathered from this little unemployment segment is that I'm not actually unemployed. I am employed... by the Harrison Corp.

What shows do you watch religiously?




5 comments:

  1. It's only parents of other babies that shouldn't talk about them all the time, Harrison is the cutest and the best in every way so that's an exception to the rule. I love looking at pics of him when he was first born, I can't get over how tiny he was still!

    Right now...shows I watch religiously...none because I don't have time, but the DVR always records Biggest Loser, the office, modern family and How I Met Your Mother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my days off usually consist of me scanning through my head what shows I missed the night before, and then I cue them up on hulu for the entire day...and if I'm feeling productive, I'll clean my room, and watch the shows....but mostly its me laying in my bed snacking on those great wegmans snacks that we love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talk about running like you talk about Harrison. I don't know what that says about me as a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I cant believe I've missed SO MANY POSTS! This made my morning.

    Also, I am obsessed with tv too. I have so many shows that I get overwhelmed on some nights because I just can't decide! (Thank goodness Downton Abbey ended and Bachelor is winding down).

    As if my life wasnt pathetic enough being so dependent on tv, my roommate decided she was quitting paying her half of the cable so I had to CANCEL CABLE. I've been depressed all week. I'm mourning the loss. God I hate NYC sometimes.

    Also, i miss wegmans, and used to spend all my money in there in college. obvi.

    Ans dont stop talking about Harrison, his pics are ridic and your captions are even better :)

    ReplyDelete