A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Friday, December 14, 2012

We can't bathe

I have a little bit (or a lot) of complaining to do. And no, it's not about Harrison as one would think (he was a bad boy yesterday so I have some pent up resentment). It's about my apartment.

Don't get me wrong- there are parts of this place that I love, like the two bathrooms, our HUGE bedroom, and being able to walk obnoxiously loud to piss off the guy below us. However, the longer I've lived here, the more I'm noticing is wrong.

Our stovetop has four burners, three of which are tiny and don't fit most regular sized pots and pans, and the only normal, adequate sized burner is broken. Ask me if I've called our landlord to get this fixed....

There are a LOT of spiders.

The roof looks like it could cave in at any moment.

The laundry "facility" contains two working washers and zero working dryers. You must pay quarters to use the machines, so you are paying for seeping wet clothes.

And then, there's this:


No, we didn't add a mixture of food coloring to get the water to turn that horrible color. That's just how it comes out of the faucet. For some reason, the water comes out clear when we take showers, but if we try to take a bath, we are met with that beautiful sight.

This wasn't so much of an issue until recently. Judge me all you want, but Harrison was not getting daily baths. To all of you gasping in horror at how negligent that is, just know that all of the "experts" say that little babies should not get baths more than 2-3 times a week, because it will dry their skin out. So there.

He's also just outgrown his little bath, so we need a bathing facility for him. Obviously, our bathtub won't work. We try giving him baths in the sink, but scrubbing the sink with a magic eraser every day is stupid annoying.

The dilemma is this: if our landlord won't get over here to fix a burner... there is NO WAY he will fix the plumbing for our shower. Meaning, we will probably have to take this issue up with the Housing Authority department because bathing ourselves in water that color MUST be a health violation, or at least I would hope. I CANNOT give Harrison sink baths every day for the next 8 months, so this must be tended to pronto. I can't even explain in words how annoying this situation is to me, but if you can imagine the endless phone conversations I'll probably need to have between the Housing Authority and my landlord, and the probable month(s) it will take to get fixed... you can imagine my pain. Or should I say Harrison's pain at being the world's stinkiest child.

Do you hate calling your landlord as much as I do?

3 comments:

  1. Faith LOVED this tub. Maybe this is a good solution until he outgrows it?

    http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-White-Hot-Inflatable-Duck/dp/B000066665/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355510591&sr=8-1&keywords=duck+bathtub

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you threaten your landlord with small claims court? That might motivate him? OR get it fixed and just deduct that cost from your rent and say "you're welcome."

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH, this is terrible! That would stress me out so bad!! When we lived in Geneseo and then Fleet Street (I say we meaning me and all my various roomies from those places) we constantly fought this battle. We slept on the roof one time bc our landlord was too lazy to get our AC fixed and the overnight low was like 90 degrees. Living in a complex is a dream come true. Anything we ever complain about is fixed the same day or if we put in a complaint at night it's fixed by the time we get home from work the next day. I know this doesn't help at all but if you decide to move when your lease is up I would highly recommend that option.

    ReplyDelete