A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Friday, August 31, 2012

Social Butterfly

I seriously suck at consistent blogging. I'm ashamed at myself for only blogging once since the kid was born. In my defense, Dave and I basically share one computer (my laptop is a serious POS and worthless, leaving us with only one that functions). Dave has been studying for his CPA exam, and in the interest of him passing, I did not try to hog the computer for blogging purposes. He starts his job this Tuesday, so I will have more free time with the laptop, and less of an excuse for not blogging.

So what is life after baby like? Exhausting, tiring, and sleepless. Not that those are all synonyms. This first month --yes, we're going on the 1 month mark! Happy One-Month Birthday, Harrison!-- has been quite the whirlwind. In case you don't know much about babies, they really aren't too much fun in their first few weeks of life. They don't smile, you can't tickle them to make them laugh, and pretty much the only interaction is them crying and screaming in your face. Literally all they do is eat, sleep, and dirty their diaper... with emphasis on eat. Harrison eats more than anyone I know. I guess when you are only 5 pounds you can afford to do that. 

It probably sounds like I hate my life and my baby. Not at ALL. I'm just saying that I'm tired, and the fun part of having a baby has yet to come. This part is definitely work, and hard work at that. I had been getting so discouraged that I looked up when babies start to smile. I need some appreciation for all of this mommy business, man. Just so you know, on average it's around 6-8 weeks. 4 weeks down and 2 to go. Bring on those smiles.

That being said, Harrison and the fam have been quite the social butterflies lately. This past weekend was his  0th Birthday Party. Not really. Dave's parents held a shower for him in Watertown so that the Porter family and friends could meet him. As we all know, he is the cutest baby ever, so obviously he was very popular. I'd say like at least 20 different people held him (it only gave me slight anxiety), including his great great-grandmother, who is 98 years old! 
Harrion's pissed. 
Continuing the social butterfly agenda, Harrison and fam went for their first walk! I had not been able to walk or move around for more than approximately 5 minutes without my incision starting to really bother me, until a few days ago. Finally feeling like I could embark on a journey without pain, we ventured into town. 
Pushing a baby doll in a stroller
Tonight, my parents are nice enough to watch Harrison so that Dave and I go out to dinner, and mommy can get her drink on. We're going to the best Mexican restaurant in Rochester, Selena's, with the BEST margaritas known to man. Can't be sure when the last time I had a margarita was, but let me tell you, I'm pretty freaking excited. I'm currently counting down the hours (six). 

The next few photos are just for the cuteness factor.
Little monkey man
Morning, Mom.
I can't be cute ALL the time


7 comments:

  1. The first time you smiled was on Thanksgiving! I still remember! I am so excited for you and Dave to enjoy some grown up time tonight and a tad jealous of your margaritas. I've never even heard of that place, I'm so out of the Rochester loop. Counting down till I get to see Harrison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear God Harrison, do not hold out on me til Thanksgiving.

      The countdown is now less than 24 hours! Can't wait

      Delete
  2. The first three months are really hard. That's why they call it the "fourth trimester" because it's basically like you have a fetus, but without the silence and ease of having it inside. :)

    I found that after 3 months, they have so much personality that it gets really fun. Plus, they start sleeping for longer stretches and that also improves your quality of life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you're honest that it's not all unicorns and rainbows :). Also, I could really go for a margarita now that you mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The gassy smiles should start soon. I was really good at convincing myself that they were real smiles. I can't really say when things get better because C was so early. She slept through the night almost as soon as the doctor said we could let her and that was the best thing ever. She's 6 months now and it's really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. pop over to this site f6w88l3w12 replica gucci bags louis vuitton replica bags neverfull c1c19j5j14 here are the findings t9e72s7x67 replica louis vuitton bag replica bags china b9v53k8s25 try this site c0l61h8w13 buy replica bags online replica bags ru

    ReplyDelete