A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Baby Story

My blogging hiatus is finally over. I'm here today to write all about my little man, Harrison Gregory, and bore you all with the grueling details of my birth story. For those of you that like the show, "A Baby Story", you will probably enjoy this post, and for those of you that don't, here is your warning.

Taking this where I left off with my last post, my second due date had come and gone and still no baby. My doctor had us go in for an ultrasound when he was 4 days past due, to monitor how the baby was doing in there. After seeing the results, she decided to induce labor because his conditions were not ideal. So we make our way to the hospital, calm, cool and collected (or at least thats how I'm going to pretend to remember it). 

Pretty much the second we got settled in our room was about the time shit got real. They give me drugs to induce labor, and as soon as I got my first contraction, the baby's heart rate dropped. The next thing I know, I have an oxygen mask on, staring at the faces of about 8 strangers in scrubs, hearing a lot of things being said and not understanding what the heck was going on. What I did know was: I did NOT want a c-section, and needed my mom there asap. Long story short- baby was not responding well to the drugs I was being given, and we had to resort to an emergency c-section. The doctors also had to put me under general anesthesia to perform the operation, so from that point forward, my memory of the whole ordeal is a lot fuzzy.

When people ask me how I felt holding Harrison for the first time, or how the first night went, I can't really tell them. Waking up from the anesthesia left me so out of it. Like, I know I FaceTimed with my sister, but can't remember what was said. I know I talked to my Gram on the phone, but that's also pretty much all I could tell you. So that kind of sucks. Not the way I would have liked for things to go down, but what can you do. Harrison and I are happy and healthy so that's all that really matters.

That was a very condensed recollection. Didn't wanna bore you too much. Now I'll leave you with a plethora of pictures of him and his cuteness! 

I'm just waking up from a nap and not in the mood to get my picture taken, Mom. 

Our first day home from the hospital. And yes, that IS a smile, not just gas.


  1. He is just so adorable!

    I had the oxygen mask/tons of people in the room experience multiple times during my induction, but she kept correcting her heart rate. The nurses even dubbed her "Drama Queen" before she was born. Basically up until she was fully out, everyone thought I was headed for a c section. Not so sure I'll be that lucky this time, but I have my fingers crossed. :)

    Congrats on everything and I hope he's letting you get some sleep!

  2. OMG I hadn't seen the quasi modo picture, amazing. So relieved you have returned to blogging. Basically during FaceTime you just told me labor was really really bad, and then Dave kept the camera on Harrison.

  3. So you're one of those freaks who looks gorgeous and glowing after having a baby? Luck you. The kid looks pretty nice, too.

  4. he looks so much like you! I had to ditch Alyssa's blog post as soon as she said "adorable baby pictures." They didn't disappoint.

    Also, congratulations! He is beautiful, and I'm so glad that both of you are healthy, despite a less-than-ideal birth scenario.

  5. I'm glad everyone is ok. He is seriously the cutest thing ever!

  6. Yes, it's totally a smile! Boys don't start laughing at their farts until later in life ;-)

    Such a cutie. Congratulations!

  7. He is so precious! Hope you had a wonderful birthday spending time with your little man.

  8. Such a cutie! (Hopped over from your sister's blog). Congratulations!