A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Thursday, February 6, 2014

The Exercise Diaries

The last time I blogged, I introduced you all to Operation Jillian Michaels is trying to Kill Me. Well, so far, no deaths have occurred, so I'd say it's going well! I realize this is not a fitness blog, by any means, but I am slightly proud of my persistence with an actual exercise plan, so I'll discuss.

As a little background, my previous fitness routine included working out maybe once every two months. Maybe. So, bear that in mind. Week 1 I ended up working out four times. Four out of Seven is pretty good considering I was coming from Zero out of 60+. The way 30 Day Shred is designed, there are three levels, and you start with Level 1 and work your way up to Levels 2 and 3, supposedly after 10 days of each. Well, I got extremely bored with Level 1 quick, and like a fool, thought Level 2 wouldn't be that much harder, so I skipped ahead. Bad choice. Now I'm stuck on Level 2, getting bored with it, attempted Level 3 once and now I feel like I will never voluntarily put myself through that hell again. So week 2, I was alternating between Level 2 of 30 Day Shred, and a couple of Jillian's other workouts, in order to avoid Level 3. Weeks 2 and 3, I increased the frequency of days from four to five, and have tried to keep myself working out five times a week since. Let's be real, I am NOT one to work out seven days a week, just no.
Watching you work out is exhausting

I can definitely notice an improvement in my strength. However, with national holidays like the Super Bowl interfering with me not eating all the things, I have not lost any weight. I'm not really freaking out about that part, because I have plenty of time to do so, and I really do believe my fat is like transforming itself into muscle. Please, if you disagree, do not crush my hopes.
I laugh at your expense

Yesterday, I took a Power Vinyasa yoga class with my friend Anna and fell IN LOVE. I used to be a Bikram yoga supporter, which if you are unaware, is done in a 100+ degree room. Yesterday's class was only at 85-90 degrees, and it felt like the perfect temperature. I was still hot, and sweating profusely, but it wasn't a heat that made me see stars and think I would pass out at any given moment. If the price tag for these classes wasn't so high, or the fact that the closest studio is 40 minutes away, I'd be hooked.

Harrison-wise, I am completely ready for his 18-month well visit (which is in four days) for the doctor to confirm my beliefs that he needs to be evaluated by a Speech Therapist. I am surprisingly calm about this topic though, because besides his speech delay, he's a little smarty pants. I know I claim this all the time, and you are probably thinking "how can the kid be smart? He hasn't even figured out how to talk", and that is a valid point. But, he has shown his incredible intelligence in many ways. For instance, the time he knew breastmilk straight from the source is better, so he just rejected a bottle for the rest of his days.
My evil plan worked!

If you workout on a regular basis, what is your regimen like? I need suggestions- clearly, I get bored quick. Also, I hate running, so that's out.

4 comments:

  1. So, so proud of your fitness commitment!

    If you hate running, I'm no help. Is it weird that this made me miss Bikram? Although maybe I need to try this Vinyasa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try the HIIT workouts on YouTube! Their short and intense. Also come to Az and I will lead you through power yoga haha.

    But really I also follow Blogilates workouts on YouTube as well. Also, Jillian is evil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't help you if you hate running, either, since that's pretty much the only exercise I do. Awesome job on working out so far, though!

    ReplyDelete