A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Dada

It's no surprise that I cannot stand when other moms make false claims about their babies. Actually, one of my only mommy-friends and I have a sport of texting each other when we see a false, delusional claim and making fun of that mom endlessly, while also patting ourselves on that back for not being deranged like that. So, the other night, an event occurred that I don't even know I can share publicly, since I'm afraid that people won't believe it.

Or maybe it's because I don't believe it either. Too good to be true, or something. Keep in mind that my son is nearly 15 months old. He may or may not have said his first word. He was in the bath, and after like 100 times of us obnoxiously saying "dada" in his face, he looked at us and repeated it! Albeit very slowly, like "da......da" but maybe that still counts? Votes? We also were screaming "Yay!!" in his face right after and he looked very proud of himself so again, that counts, right? 

And the silence ends... now. For forever.
Either way, it's going in the baby book so that I can pretend to no longer be paranoid that he's behind and/or has a learning disability. Sidenote: he's actually really smart, and comprehends a lot, so really I think he's fine. Like when we say "Harrison, show us your belly!" he immediately pulls his shirt way up, like over his face, and flashes us. It is the. cutest. thing. If you've never witnessed this side show before, I suggest you find a way to LeRoy, NY to see the Flashing Baby ASAP.

For my next trick, watch me walk around in the shoes of giants
Halloween is later this week. Some of you already know what Harrison and I (and Dave) are dressing up as, but since I have no pictures yet, the rest of you will have to wait. Part of me does not know why I paid money to dress the entire family up for a whopping 30 minutes, while we Trick-or-Treat with a child who hates all humans and all experiences that are outside of his own dwelling, but what's done is done. To add to the misery, Harrison and I are meeting one of my friends at the Strong Museum of Play for their Trick-or-Treating event as well. So, two rounds of Trick-or-Treating for the Boy Who Hates All The Things. It should definitely be interesting, and if all else fails (which it will), at least I will have collected so much candy to drown my sorrows in. Next year, or possibly the year after- if I can stand to wait, I am pulling the "I ate all of your Halloween candy" trick on him to see how hilarious his reaction is. If you think that's cruel, you've obviously never seen the Jimmy Kimmel skit about it... watch that shit now.

Ridiculously large cowboy hats are my FAVORITE 
What are you dressing up as for Halloween?

4 comments:

  1. That skit really is completely hilarious.

    I can't wait to hear how trick or treating goes! Good luck! And, you're right, it's still probably worth the candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when you, Dave, me and Eric all watched that skit in a hotel room together when you were pregnant?

    Harrison and I are like two peas in a pod. I often hate all experiences/people outside my own dwelling. Also some people in my own dwelling. As long as he likes the candy portion we are good. You'll have to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. HAHA. I took a slight break from pharmacology to read about Harrison's first word and laughed out loud at the first paragraph.
    2. That first picture... can you send it to Baby Gap please?
    3. The Boy Who Hates All The Things makes him sound like a Harry Potter character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally counts! Yayyyy Harrison! I love that first picture of him! How will you ever say no to that face? He will rack in the candy tonight for you for sure: )

    And I just read a status update from a delusional mom on facebook that claims her 11 month-old spontaneously said a 2-syllable s-blend word yesterday. It makes me feel bad about my parenting and my career as a speech-language pathologist, but I comfort myself in knowing that it seems pretty impossible.

    ReplyDelete