A mom's daily struggle with work, play, and a crazy toddler.

Monday, July 29, 2013

The Grassroots recap that never was and a Wine Tour recap

Sometimes I'll write a whole post up during one of Harrison's naps, then he wakes up, and instead of just posting it without any pictures, I scold myself that a real blogger would always have pictures, so I save it as a draft and promise myself that I'll come back to it with pictures ASAP and post. Sometimes that actually happens a lot, so in my head I think, "Oh yeah, I've blogged recently", when really, I failed and did not.

That happened with my post about Grassroots. I came away from Grassroots with only two pictures, and have since deleted one, so in the above theory, it's not even worth publishing. The takeaway from my summary is this: everyone needs to experience Grassroots. That is, everyone who likes to dance and listen to music. Grassroots is just a mingling of all types of people, all ages (literally saw a baby within weeks of the womb, and then a 70-year old man dancing like he was on acid), who all just want to have a great time relaxing, dancing, listening to amazing tunes. So there you have it. I had fun.

I can't say I had any more fun at Grassroots than I did this past Saturday though. Saturday was some of the most fun I've had in a while, probably because it reminded me more of my days at Geneseo than anything else... except for going back to Geneseo. All of my friends from Geneseo participated in our "annual" wine tour. However, it was my first, since surprise surprise, the first year I was at Grassroots, and last year I was about 39.3 weeks pregnant. So all in all, I had been looking forward to this experience for three years, no biggie.

From the years past, I had heard wild stories of the happenings of the wine tour, so I was very optimistic that this year would bring the same results. When you start drinking champagne at 11am, and don't stop until 6pm, that can happen. My highlights from the wine tour are as follows: dancing on the limo to some awesome 90s jams, the collection of like 70 corks given to me by one of the wineries for a wedding project,
The only proof that I was on a wine tour

 and getting accosted by the limo driver because of the members of our party got us "kicked off the property", which in actuality, no one believes happened.

Post wine-tour, we ate, had some coffee, some of us napped, and then we were ready for Part 2 of the night. If you read anything in this post, it's that I like to dance, so after hopping around a little, we ended up at the kinda-sketchy, kinda-scummy, but plays-great-tunes dance club, and I danced the night away. I definitely felt it the next morning, and actually I think we all did. Let's just say that Geneseo taught us well.

So now it's Monday, and this is Harrison's last week as a baby, aka a human less than the age of 1. HOW DID THIS HAPPEN? I probably can't even bring myself to write a full post about his actual birthday, or about how I have a 1-year old, because I'm in denial and my only solution is to just pretend the growing stops now.

Are we laughing at my toupee of hair or... ?

In reality though, we are throwing a party for him on Sunday and I am really, really excited. Food, drinks, and frosting. I have a huge fear that he'll hate the cake, or be too fussy and swat it away, or just something preventing him from going to TOWN on that shit. Is it not the cutest thing when the babies bathe themselves in the frosting at the pure joy of tasting something that delicious? Because watch, my son will not grant me this joy and I'll forever be depressed. That, or I'll disown him, since Miller spawn MUST LOVE FROSTING (See Chocolate is my Life).

Are you as excited for Harrison's 1st Birthday as I am? If you're not, leave this blog and never come back.


This picture has no relevancy, just wanted you to all witness that perfect little hiney 






3 comments:

  1. Is he playing naked hide and go seek? Hilarious.

    I can't believe Harrison is almost 1! That is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I frequently have that problem where I can't remember if I told someone something, or just THOUGHT about telling that person that thing.
    2. Grassroots basically sounded like pure hell to me, but that's coming from someone who just spent one day out of the past two weekends running outdoors for 6+ hours in July. Actually, at Rosaryville, I told Kara that mom must wonder what the hell happened that all 3 of her kids have such a warped idea of fun.
    3. My highlight of the weekend was the Facetime after the wine tour. Let's make that an annual tradition too.
    4. I love Harrison more than anything on this Earth but if he shuns frosting he's out of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh. Yes, wildly excited about Harrison's one year BD party and cute little hiney. But hated frosting my entire life. I knock it right off a cupcake, slice it off a carrot cake, and avoid it on a BD cake. Sickening stuff. Might as well just eat a bag of sugar. Gag. Meh. Blech.

    Am I now excommunicated?

    Or, on the other hand, if Harrison turns out like me and you kick him out of the family, he and I can run away to the circus together.

    ReplyDelete